Director of Research and Impact
The Possibility Lab seeks a Director of Research and Impact who is both a leader and manager with strong people management, project management and research skills. The incumbent is responsible for the overall operations and strategy of the Possibility Lab’s research and innovation vertical. They will lead project scoping conversations with partners from both government agencies and community organizations, explore research design possibilities, and represent the Lab externally.
The incumbent conceptualizes and leads on development of internal research protocols and consistency across projects, and advises the Executive Director on key strategic decisions. They monitor deliverables and assume overall responsibility for ensuring all projects meet stated goals, timelines, and quality-assurance. They mentor research staff and assume responsibility for professional development of staff within the vertical. The incumbent may lead on individual research projects as needed, from design through analysis of data to summary of findings.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience and success in collaborating with government agencies and/or community organizations, managing multiple complex projects with multiple overlapping deadlines, leading a multidisciplinary team, and conducting community-engaged/equity/civic engagement research.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 23, 2023.
- Directs and administers the research and innovation vertical with primary responsibility for all programmatic activities including project scoping and negotiations, research design and implementation, project management, and research and administrative processes and protocols
- Manages and mentors staff in research and innovation vertical, including project management, professional development, and growth
- Enhances and maintain effective team culture, and fosters dynamism and rapport within the lab.
- Interfaces with external partners in government agencies and community-based organizations
- Represents lab in external conversations and project scoping conversations.
- Facilitates the efforts of various departments, managers, and outside constituencies to ensure interdisciplinary collaboration, as necessary.
- Directly manages and/or provides guidance on specific projects, including selecting data samples, designing and developing research instruments, analyzing data according to established methods, and summarizing findings.
- Assesses research and innovation program’s effectiveness, and recommends and implements changes to program’s content, policies and procedures accordingly.
- Identifies and pursues funding opportunities and revenue streams.
- Advises Executive Director on key strategic decisions involving the lab.
- Advanced interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse groups to achieve results
- Experience leading and managing a multidisciplinary team preferred
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- Advanced ability to think creatively and independently on concepts requiring advanced analytical skills
- Advanced ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- Project management experience and skills
- Advanced degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
- Advanced research experience and skills
- Highly skilled fundraising experience
- Experience working with public sector agencies and/or community organization
- Doctorate in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
Salary & Benefits
- This is a 12-month, 100% full-time (40 hours per week), contract position that is eligible for full UC benefits with the possibility of extension
- This position is exempt and paid monthly
- This is a hybrid position, eligible for 50% remote capability
For more information and to apply, visit this posting on the UC Careers page